Picking a router within $100 can be extremely difficult as you may be faced with loads of different choices, with different brand labels and multiple prices and the funny thing is everyone claims to be the best for your needs.
To be very honest none are created equally.
But I have made this job easier for you, thanks to my extremely honest review about the best routers.
You may need to access the internet for personal use, business, or in most cases, you will need the internet for entertainment purposes. A good Wi-Fi router is essential to ensure that your experience on the internet is smooth and enjoyable.
If you were looking for the best gaming router, or the best router for long-range, or the best wireless router in general, then you have come to the right place. These routers perform remarkably well and come at a cheap, affordable price, which eases your low budget problems.
List Wifi Routers You can get within $100
- NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6700)
- TP-Link N450 Wireless Internet Router
- Linksys AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Router
- TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Smart WiFi Router
- NETGEAR N750 Dual Band 4 Port Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300)
- Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router
- NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6080) – AC1000 Dual Band Wireless Speed
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6700) Review [EDITOR’S PICK]
- USB Port which can connect to a Printer or create as cloud storage
- Smart Parental Controls to manage data access and usage
- NETGEAR Armor built-in anti-virus protection from internet threats
- 1 GHz Dual-Core Processor for accelerated performance
- 4 Ultra-fast connections
- Amazon Alexa Voice Control
- Double Firewall network security
- Extremely fast Wi-Fi connection at a bandwidth of up to 1750 Mbps
- Signals extend up to a range of 1500 square feet
- can connect more than 25 devices without any signal hitch
- Supports the WPA2 wireless security protocols and offers various security options
- Notable price to performance ratio.
All it takes for this device to change your world is $67.66. In my opinion, that’s a steal. For such a low price, it can serve as an all-purpose Wi-Fi router. You can utilize its features on multiple devices for home, office, gaming or streaming purposes. With its AC1750 wireless speed, you can forget all your Wi-Fi problems that before seemed incomprehensible.
Moreover, up to 25 devices can connect and operate the internet using this router without even remotely affecting its connectivity. You can reliably fulfill every need with this. Its three antennae’s and a dual-core processor will ensure to you a reliable connection, and it will drive away all the complaints that you ever had regarding your router.
It is a wireless router, but you can also connect up to 4 devices with it, so you will not have any frequency problems with it, and this property highly benefits users having gaming consoles, or users desiring an absolutely stable connection.
With this much information, it should be clear that this router, with its surprisingly low price, can be bought without thinking twice. However, if you are still concerned about its performance, its specifications will speak for itself.
2. TP-Link N450 Wireless Internet Router Review
- Parental controls are available for management.
- IP based bandwidth control
- Three antennas
- Comes with a diagnostic tool
- 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port
- Single-core CPU processor
- Speeds up to 450 Mbps
- 2-year warranty
- 3-year technical support
- Comes with an amazingly low price
- The bandwidth allocated to each device can specifically be altered
- Supports up to 450 Mbps.
- Perfect for gaming and streaming purposes.
- Built-in note-ping diagnostic tool helps solve major connectivity problems
- Provides increased stability and wider coverage
- It does not support the phone-line internet.
If you felt like the first option was not affordable enough, then rest assured. This amazing router will please you with its cheaper, sustainable features. Available for only $24.99 a piece, this beauty can serve some features that the first option could, at a lower cost. TP-Link is a well-known company with routers that can serve optimally for personal use at affordable prices.
This router is one of their best examples. It may not have the same features as the more expensive options; however, it can most certainly get the job done without imposing any problems. Furthermore, this router still retains some of the notable features from the more expensive options.
3. Linksys EA6350 (AC1200) Dual-Band Wireless Router
- 1000 square feet signal range.
- 10 device compatibility.
- 5 GHz version available.
- Bandwidth rate up to 1200 Mbps.
- Faster wired data transfer rate due to advanced ports.
- The high signal range benefits office use.
- High data transfer rates provide good connectivity while gaming
- Signals are not affected by Bluetooth devices
- A simple setup can be done easily using Linksys application software.
- Dual-Band to provide a smooth and stable experience.
- Medium file-transfer speed
Most people like to believe that famous brands are the right way to go when spending money. However, you will see that this router is not a waste of your $59.99.
At a very affordable rate, this machine can enlighten your home experience. Whether you need it for gaming, streaming, or just browsing the web, its features and specifications are definitely not disappointing.
A notable point is that it is available in both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz versions, so this router can solve all the problems you had regarding frequency and attenuation, at a very low price.
4. TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Smart WiFi Router
- Compatible with Alexa devices such as the Echo Dot.
- 3 external antennas.
- 24/7 technical support and TP-Link application software.
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports
- 1 USB port.
- 802.11 ac standard
- 1300 Mbps speed
- Works best as a smart router
- Large signal range
- Can operate at up to 1750 Mbps
- Gigabit LAN ports transfer data over a wired connection faster than normal LAN connections
- Application software enables users to easily operate the router settings
- Does not have a built-in security feature for encryption of data
This device is very similar to the NETGEAR R6700 which I have evaluated earlier. Many of its features are comparable at the same level to that of the R6700; however, you still save the some bucks by choosing this option instead. Again, TP-Link is a renowned brand for internet devices, so this router will not let you down.
Furthermore, it has some features that the R6700 lacks. For example, this device is compatible to use with an Alexa device. Hence, this router can have smart controls if you do decide on buying an Echo device to pair with it. At such a low price, this router can boost up your internet experience.
Read further and you may believe that this router will suit you better than the R6700. Not only that, but most of the features available in the NETGEAR router require you to pay extra, but these features are available to you as long as you have the device itself. It is a one-time payment to enlighten your experience.
5. NETGEAR N750 Dual Band 4 Port Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300)
- It can process data at a bandwidth of 750 Mbps.
- It has 4 Gigabit LAN ports.
- NETGEAR genie application software to smoothen your experience.
- Simultaneous Dual Band.
- Wireless access to USB drives and Printers.
- It has an extremely magnificent price to performance ratio.
- Extremely cost-effective
- Dual-Band allows you to access a high data transfer rate
- Gigabit LAN ports improve the gaming experience.
- Easy management of the network on the router.
- Significantly good signal range
- Not recommended for a large number of users.
NETGEAR is not a company to be taken lightly. It shows in this example. This router is available for as low as $24 if you are comfortable with buying a used device.
The most noteworthy feature of this router is that it supports IPv6, and thanks to this feature you can rest assured that perhaps you will never change your router device ever again.
It is suitable for users looking to utilize it at their homes, however, it is not recommended for office use. Furthermore, this device also has a Dual Band, so you can operate on a 5 GHz frequency using this.
It may certainly not be comparable to any other devices that I have listed before, but if you compare the prices, this machine is like a jackpot. For its incredibly low price, you can say goodbye to all our problems forever. In the near future, IPv6 will control the flow of data on the internet, and due to its compatibility, you will never have to replace this router.
6. Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router
- Supports WPA2 encryption.
- Built-in SPI firewall.
- It has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.
- It is a Linux based network sharing router.
- It supports all IEEE protocols.
- Easy to set up, use, and manage.
- External antennas ensure good signal strength.
- Ethernet ports allow you to have a stable wired connection.
- More than enough security measures,
- A great option for a casual internet user
- Low bandwidth of only up to 54 Mbps
This product is particularly favorable to Linux users because it is constructed on a Linux base. Available for a low cost of $21, this option is comparable to the previous option that I elaborated on.
It has two external antennas, which guarantee a decent signal strength across a vast range. It has built-in 4 ethernet ports and a Wireless access point. This router is not recommended for gaming or office use, it is a generally low budget option for users that do not need a heavy purpose router.
It is easy to set up and use, and therefore, benefits casual users that do not use the internet very often.
7. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6080) – AC1000 Dual Band Wireless Speed
- AC1000 bandwidth with Dual Band.
- It can easily provide for 15 devices.
- 4 Fast Ethernet ports.
- Supports WPA2 security protocols.
- Nighthawk application software for router management.
- The high bandwidth of 1000 Mbps
- Offers the best price to performance ratio
- Can be plugged into gaming consoles and other wired devices
- Built-in functions for security procedures
- Application software enables you to access specific router settings
- Only comes with two antennas
There are many reasons for this, but the main reason is that it is a Dual Band router that can work at up to 1000 Mbps over a reasonably large range. With just a $39.88 purchase, you will be able to reliably carry out any process you require. It can fulfill every purpose, such as gaming, surfing the internet, office use, streaming videos and much more. Furthermore, this router can even connect to smart home devices.
For such a low price, this router is a steal. You can efficiently use it over a wireless or wired medium. There are no security issues associated with this machine and trust me, just reading its features can blow your mind when you remind yourself of its cost. Overall, I would suggest that you pick this router of all the options.
Features to look for when choosing the best router
One of the core factors about a good router is the speed. Now it’s obvious that good routers need to be fast enough to connect you to the internet at the pace of wind and provide a great connection. However, the preferred speed is up to 300 Mbps. Your network latency needs to be around 20 to 30 milliseconds otherwise your connection would drag, leaving your whole internet browsing experience miserable.
Here’s a fact; if your network latency drops below 150 milliseconds, your connection would slog to the point that you’d want to shut down and move to another planet. Yes, I’m speaking from experience.
It has to be able to connect well with wireless as well as it connects with a wired connection. Wireless transmissions sometimes have frequency problems that affect their stability, which can be solved through a proper wired connection.
When choosing a router, another thing you should consider is the supported connection that is approved by your ISP and is able to link up and work perfectly with your network.
Go for AC 1200 or higher router
The router should be able to support at least a bandwidth of 1200 Mbps because you need to be able to stream movies at a higher quality without any problems. Moreover, if you have a faster connection, it can be used as an all-purpose router; for the office as well as for your home needs
Single-band or Dual Band
You definitely go for a dual-band because dual-band allows your bandwidth to reach a higher level. In addition, with the use of dual bands, you can access both the frequencies in wireless transmission. As a result, it erases any hitch you might face with a wireless device.
Number of Ports
The number of ports mainly depends upon how many devices do you need to connect with the router. If you are using it for commercial use, it should allow a number of ports. But if you are using it for your home, it can have as little as 3 ports. Ideally, it should have at least 4 Ethernet ports, and 1 USB port. Gigabit Ethernet ports are preferable as they offer a faster connection.
It should be able to have a solid signal strength of over 1000 square feet. This allows it to be used as a multi-purpose router. With strong signals, you are assured that you get the same download and upload speed that you are paying for.
The most popular range of wireless signals is 802.11 ac, but if you are able to get a range faster than that, then I’d say go for it.
One of the biggest factors, when you’re deciding the router for yourself, is the security. You need to make sure that your router is strong enough to withstand any kind of external attack from any hacker that tries to steal your IP address, or internet connection away.
The world is advancing every day and hackers are coming up with updated methods of stealing identities by hacking through the internet connections. The fault mainly lies with bad quality servers that don’t come with a proper antivirus installed.
It is preferable that your router has a built-in firewall, however, it is a must that it supports at least one security protocol for wireless transfer of data such as the WPA2 security protocol. This ensures that your connection and data remains safe and secure.
After considering the pros, cons and in-depth features of the best routers under 100, I have come to the conclusion that NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6700) is hands down the best router for 4k streaming. Not only is it the best budget Wi-Fi router for a long-range, but it is also one of the top-rated wireless routers under $100.
It offers Wi-Fi connection at a bandwidth of up to 1750 Mbps, antivirus protection against external threats, with a price so low you won’t have to put a dent in your pocket for a router. I mean, what else could you possibly ask for?
However, if you’re looking for some other budget-friendly router that solves your connection problems, I’d advise you to go through my honest review above to purchase any of the options. I’d also recommend you to consider the features from my list above to get the best budget Wi-Fi router because once you lose your money, it doesn’t come back so easily.